Upstash Redis connection

Hello there!

I’m trying to connect n8n to Redis from Upstash using n8n locally.

The doc shows an example using DigitalOcean, but I guess they should be equivalent, both are cloud with a remote connection string.

I got this generic error:

Ready check failed: Redis connection lost and command aborted. It might have been processed.

I’m not sure if it’s related to the local version of n8n or there’s something else with the way Upstash allows the connection to their service. Any hints?

Many thanks!

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: Version 0.236.0
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): npm
  • Operating system: MacOs

Hi @abusedmedia, welcome to the community!

I am very sorry you’re having trouble. However, when testing this by signing up to Upstash I didn’t have any problems connecting:

Are you by any chance using TLS encryption for your Upstash Redis instance? This is currently not supported from the looks of it, suggesting it’s not a good idea to use a remote Redis instance with n8n’s Redis node right now.

This is also what the folks at Redis themselves suggest:

Redis is designed to be accessed by trusted clients inside trusted environments. This means that usually it is not a good idea to expose the Redis instance directly to the internet or, in general, to an environment where untrusted clients can directly access the Redis TCP port or UNIX socket.

So instead of using Redis via Upstash you might want to consider a Redis instance in your local network when using n8n.

However, if you’d still like to give it a go, you’d need to disable TLS for your Upstash Redis instance and then set up your credentials in n8n like so:

Hope this clarifies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @MutedJam,

you are right! By using an Upstash db without TLS the connection from n8n works.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.