[User Management] Need Help Fixing SMTP Error

Invite emails using the User Management feature are failing for some unknown reason. SMTP on my server operates on port 587 so I set N8_SMTP_SSL to false which fails with the error " Could not invite users - There is a problem with your SMTP setup! self signed certificate".

snip

I also tested setting N8_SMTP_SSL to true which I believe is incorrect and it fails with the error “Could not invite users - There is a problem with your SMTP setup! 140467208370992:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:331:”.

I am running the n8n service through Docker on Hetzner (Ubunto 20.04). Support at my SMTP hosting provider, KnownHost, stated that it is failing due to syntax errors (see below). However I did set-up a SMTP relay at mailersend and it worked fine through their service.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to fix this.

snip4

snip5

Hey @MortgageRockstar, welcome to the community!

I am sorry to hear you’re having trouble. The error message could suggest the SMTP server is using STARTTLS which might cause the trouble here. We currently have a ticket for improving the behaviour in our backlog, but I do not have an ETA yet I am afraid.

If the SMTP server doesn’t offer any additional ports allowing unencrypted traffic you might want to consider the below workarounds:

Well not the answer I had hoped for, but thanks for the quick response!

You’re most welcome and sorry for the trouble.

New version [email protected] got released which includes the GitHub PR 9415.