Variable Selector doesn't work with previous Executions

Describe the issue/error/question

Hey all,
I am having problems using Variable Selector in the previous Executions tab to prepare Expression based on the data from the execution. I am almost certain that it worked in version ~0.200 as I used it quite extensively as my workflows are getting bigger and it is much easier to get the right expression to access data from previous nodes.

How I used to work?

1. Opened Previous execution as there were the live data and it was easy for me to get to the right node in complex workflows
  2. Build the expression on the data from the execution
  3. Copy the expression to the workflow

Video showing the issue: n8n issue - YouTube

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share the workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.206.1, tried also 209.4
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): n8n.cloud
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: n8n.cloud
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: n8n.cloud

Hi @tkey, iirc execution data was always intended to be read-only, though I am not sure if this was enforced in all versions.

To overcome this you might want to copy the JSON data from the execution view like so:

You can then insert this payload in the workflow view and use it through n8n’s data pinning functionality by clicking this button:

This would let you reproduce the results from your previous execution without having to send an actual request to an API (or receiving a webhook, etc.).

Thanks MutedJam, that works good as well.

Cheers Tomas

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.