Hi n8n team,
I maintain n8n-nodes-duckduckgo-search, a credential-free DuckDuckGo search node with roughly 21,000 installs. I would like to submit it for verification and have read the requirements, the zero-runtime-dependency rule in particular. Meeting it means removing four dependencies — axios, duck-duck-scrape, @mozilla/readability and linkedom. The last two power the node’s article-text extraction, and replacing them is a substantial rewrite with a real risk of quality regression.
Before committing to that work, three things I could not settle from the documentation:
1. “Must not be an existing node.” There is no DuckDuckGo node in n8n today, and this package already has ~21k installs, so I read the rule as not applying here. Is that right, or does it also cover a community node that already exists?
2. Unofficial endpoints. DuckDuckGo publishes no search API. The node uses the same HTML/lite endpoints and the public Instant Answer API that every DuckDuckGo library uses. The guidelines do not address unofficial endpoints either way. Is a node built on them eligible for verification at all? If not, I would rather know before starting.
3. Review from a datacenter IP. DuckDuckGo rate-limits per IP and answers a burst with an anomaly page — HTTP 202 carrying a CAPTCHA, not an error status. A reviewer testing from cloud infrastructure will very likely hit it. The node detects that page and reports it explicitly rather than returning an empty list, so what a reviewer would see is an error message instead of search results. Is there a way to flag this ahead of a review, or a preferred way to demonstrate that the node works?
Information on the package
- Package:
n8n-nodes-duckduckgo-search(MIT, ~21k installs) - Repository: GitHub - samnodehi/n8n-nodes-duckduckgo: Community node for integrating DuckDuckGo search into n8n workflows · GitHub
- Latest version: 32.12.2, published from GitHub Actions with npm provenance via a trusted publisher
- Credentials: none — the node needs no API key and no account
- Checked against:
@n8n/scan-community-package
Thanks,
Sam Nodehi