Watch folder Trigger [GOT CREATED]

Hi,

Is there a mean to have trigger watching a local folder for new files (something based on chokidar)?

Best regards,

Olivier, new to n8n

Welcome to the community @dsa-ols

As far as I know, this is not possible. However, I guess you can be monitoring the file with checkidar (in another process) and when it detects a change, make an HTTP to a workflow that has as an entry point a webhook node.

I case I did not explain myself correctly. Yes, we can create a trigger to do that. What I meant before with “it was not possible”, it’s that currently it’s not posible, cuz such a node does not exist yet.

Hi @RicardoE105,

It would be a nice feature, definitely playing on n8n distinctive advantage vs. other automation solution, i.e. being able to access local/on premises resources.

Do you think it can be inserted in the n8n roadmap reg. nodes? My knowledge in js programming is too little to contribute in a professional way on this :wink:

Hi @RicardoE105!

Do you think there could developments regarding this topic?

Best regards,

Olivier

Hey @dsa-ols,

What would you be doing with the files once you have them? I have been thinking about a local file option not only as a node for copy / move / delete / rename actions but also for a trigger so say file created, modified, deleted and maybe things like filters to pick up a file only if it has a metadata file with it.

Hi @Jon ,

Typically my scenario is:

• another legacy app / a scanning device creates a new document in a folder ; optionally with a file (CSV, XML,…) describing metadata
  • the trigger allows to link to another node for any action such as posting the file onto FTP, DMS, … ; optionally sending metadata if the posting node is able to

It would be a similar node as the GetFile Processor in NiFi.

Best regards,

Olivier

Hey @dsa-ols,

That sounds exactly like what I was thinking as I wanted to use it for a print solution that does some scanning but is limited with the locations so n8n would be a bit of a bridge to extend it.

Do you run n8n from Docker, NPM or another method? I will bump this project up on my list of things to do unless one of the n8n chaps wants to take it on.

@jan created a node for it

1 Like

Ha that will do it, I will check it out in a bit and see if it needs any tweaks.

1 Like

Got released with [email protected]

3 Likes