What happens if multiple webhooks get triggered at the same time?

If I have a workflow where there are 3 webhook triggers. The workflow runs when either webhook get’s sent data. What would happen if all get triggered at the same time?

The idea is that each trigger represents a different client. Instead of re-creating a new workflow for each client I’d rather have it all in one so it’s easier to manage.

I mainly want to know if n8n can handle if 800 webhook triggers running at the exact same time to the same set of nodes.

• n8n version: 1.29.1
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): n8n cloud
  • Operating system: Apple M2 Pro 16GB

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

hello @moshi

They can’t be triggered at the same time. Each trigger == one separate execution.

In the event that 3 web hooks receive data at the same time, will it eventually still run all of them? Also would the first webhook need to finish the entire workflow before the second webhook gets triggered? how does it work?

What would be a turn around in my use case, just create a new workflow for every client? What if I need to update the workflow for all clients at the same time.

I’m thinking a workaround is to make the webhook execute a workflow trigger, and use the same workflow trigger for each Webhook. But then I guess the same question would arise, what would happen if multiple workflows call the same workflow at the same time?

Thanks for responding @barn4k !!

I also wonder, what would happen in a situation like this:
Node 1: Any new SMS from Twillio
Node 2: Assistant studies conversation
Node 3: Send SMS

What if 20 different customers respond back at the same time, and Twillio sent all 20 requests at the same time?

Super new to all this HTTP stuff, just started a couple of weeks ago - Thanks again @barn4k

It’s impossible to run multiple webhooks at the same time. Each trigger will produce a new execution within the same workflow.

You can use multiple webhooks in one workflow and no, they won’t be triggered simultaneously.

If 20 customers respond back at the same time, then n8n will run the workflow 20 times (one for each client) >> send 20 sms (one per client)

1 Like

If it produces a new execution within the same workflow then supposed I had 800 web hooks for the example below. And all 800 Webhooks received data at the exact same time.

My question is will each of the client’s CRM be updated at the same time. Or will it wait till one execution is done before moving on to the second?

EXAMPLE:

Why you need so many webhooks? And in the example you have provided, why you need 3 webhooks for clients instead of one?

It won’t wait. E.g.

1. Client 1 triggered webhook
  2. Client 2 triggered webhook
  3. Client 3 triggered webhook

CRM may be updated in any order. There might be also situations when the CRM will be updated during the updating process. In such cases you’ll need a message broker service, that will process the requests one-by-one.

1 Like

To simplify everything, assume the workflow is: When a client get’s a new lead in their CRM they want a note added that says “new lead” in their CRM.

In this instance, if I have 500 clients that want this service. Instead of making 500 different workflows, I’ll just have one workflow with 500 webhooks. Then when a new lead comes it’ll update.

Okay, so that being said: will each of the client’s CRM be updated at the same time?

I’m asking because I’m just a little confused:
Here it seems like you’re saying it won’t work at the same time

But here it seems like you’re saying it will run at the same time

And here it seems like you’re saying that it won’t wait, and that if 800 webhooks received data at the same time that all 800 will execute at the same time.

Ah, I wasn’t very clear. Let me explain what I mean.
You have one workflow with N webhooks.

When any webhook is being triggered, it creates a separate execution (in that manner they won’t run simultaneously as insine one workflow)

But each of that executions may be run for a different amount of time. And from the CRM point of view they may be running in the same time.

Next topic - why you think that you need one separate webhook per client?
If the webhooks do the same job, then you can utilize only one webhook

4 Likes

Ohh you were clear, I just wasn’t familiar with all the lingo. You’re 100% right, for some reason I was thinking that I’d need a different Webhook for every client, you just made my life so much easier.

Thanks again :pray: :pray:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.