What impact are "breaking changes" actually having, and how should I act

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for this wonderful project, which makes automating things much, much easier, all of this self-hosted, open-source and free <3.

Since I want to keep my self-hosted instance updated, I regularly check and update my container. Today I stumbled across the latest update which introduces some “breaking changes” to merge nodes (and the previous update which replaces function nodes with code nodes).

After updating a test environment, I noticed that the existing merge and function nodes are still working. My question is, if these legacy nodes will continue to work, or if I’m supposed to go through my >160 workflows and replace all merge and function nodes one by one.

We also saw some changes to the Gmail nodes a few weeks back, regarding the sender (which was previously formatted differently). I have the same question here; Do I have to manually recreate every Gmail node, or will the old node continue to work?

Thank you for reading this and have a great day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @one_juru, from checking the breaking changes document, the code node would not be a breaking change. You can continue to use your existing Function and Function Item node in your existing workflows if you like.

After updating a test environment, I noticed that the existing merge and function nodes are still working. My question is, if these legacy nodes will continue to work, or if I’m supposed to go through my >160 workflows and replace all merge and function nodes one by one.

Your existing workflows will continue to work, especially if they’re older than 15 September. The breaking change around the merge node only affects the new version of the node introduced with n8n 0.194.0. Action is only necessary if his version of the node is being used with either the Merge By Fields, Merge By Position, or Multiplex operation

Hope this clarifies!

@MutedJam …what if I don’t understand the breaking changes ? Merge by fields etc etc didn’t appear to cause me concern but now on 0.198.2 my previous visible ‘IF’ and ‘SET’ nodes appear to be blank in the UI

I was using 0.197.1

@MutedJam

Panic over !! … I hadn’t restarted my client UI
I had restarted my docker container and also had switched around flows etc … but when I looked at IF nodes and Set nodes they were all blank.

I had to close and restart my browser :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Phew, glad to hear you’ve figured it out in the meantime :smiley:

After reading the first message I was really irritated as there were no breaking changes involving these nodes recently (at least none I could remember). So, thanks a million for confirming!

Yeah that’s what concerned me :smiley: … all my other function nodes seemed to be ok.

I left my comments there for anyone else who looked at the break changes and did the same as me…

Sorry about the panic :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.