Workflow backup solution

Hi,

I found couple of threads in the community explaining ways to backup workflows to google drive and/or airtables. But looks like these mechanisms use Rest APIs that are probably not public yet (please correct me if I am wrong).

Therefore, I am not sure what’s the best way to backup my workflows. I am looking for a reliable backup solution (periodic) either to github or anywhere else that’s known to work.

Any recommendations?

Thank you.

Hey @ronykris,

I use a modified version of this workflow: https://n8n.io/workflows/817 it uses the internal APIs to update the workflows in Github. I have it running every 2 hours, Another option you could use is to use the CLI tool which has export options so you can write a script (or a workflow) to run the tool, export the workflows then commit to git.

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you @jon . Let me give it a try and revert.

3 Likes

If you go the CLI route, you can use the Execute Command node to run a script (or CLI commands directly) - so this way an n8n workflow can still power the backup process. Plus, since you have a workflow it’s then easy to add on things like a notification/ alert if the backup fails.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m trying to implement this in my self-hosted version of n8n, but in the “N8N Workflows” node, I’m getting the following error message: “Error: connect ECONNREFUSED”

I simply updated the URL to my n8n URL. Is there anything else that I need to do (e.g. set authentication)?

Thanks!