Anyone running n8n on Oracle Cloud Free Tier?

Hi @MutedJam,

I just wanted to give a heads up that I made a complete reinstall following the instructions step by step. I have tackled all the issues that we talked about earlier. I paid extra attention on each step to verify that each step was successful. I didn’t get any kind of error messages at any point.

Yet just like last time I’m only staring at “Welcome to nginx!” screen.

Do you have any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Hm, that sounds like nginx doesn’t have a matching server block for your n8n instance. Could you run ls -lha /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/ and share the output? This command lists the content of your /etc/nginx/sites-enabled directory.

Hi @MutedJam,

Thanks for your rapid reply. Here’s the screenshot:

@MutedJam bump :slight_smile:

Are you accessing it using the server_name you have set in the n8n.conf file?

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am. I added the subdomain url to the conf file as the tutorial instructs:

I created the subdomain by using an A record that directs to the server IP. The connection is also secured with the SSL certificate.

Can you share that line of your config file?

Hi Jon,

Here you go

Get @antic1pate,

Remove the < and > then reload nginx and you should be good to go.

1 Like

Hey @antic1pate, sorry I didn’t reply earlier, it was the weekend :smiley:

Looks like @Jon already figured it out, I suppose you might also need to request a new certificate using certbot though.

With the < and > I intended to indicate placeholders in the guide. So you’d also need to remove these elsewhere, for example in your docker compose file:

PS: After an internal discussion on a new approach to an officially documented server setup I’ll probably also re-do this guide using the latest Ubuntu LTS version and a simpler web server at some point. Any suggestions on how to better highlight placeholders?

Hi,

Yeah I figured out you guys have to rest for the weekend as well :slight_smile: I just thought I will give a friendly bump on Monday in case somebody already read the message on Friday but didn’t have time to answer and might forget about it.

I do feel like a complete jerk to be honest. I was trying to follow the very well written instructions with all the care and end up messing up something like this lol.

I did think about this for a long while during the installation but somehow I came into the conclusion that I have to leave the those <> characters. Now that I’m looking at it afterwards it looks obvious to me that they should be removed because they are greyed out as well.

I will move on to do the needed steps to fix this and hopefully I don’t have to bother you guys more than I already have. I will however let you know how it went. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help and patience @Jon & @MutedJam :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah don’t feel bad about this :smiley:

I forgot about a forum thread more than once, so feel free to give me a bump at any time.

Fingers crossed this works!

1 Like

@MutedJam I think I lost the game again.

I replaced all the entities that I had entered wrongly… Renewed the SSL cert… I have rebooted but still nothing but the nginx welcome screen - sigh.

I ran some of the comands from the tutorial to try see what parts are running properly. When installing from the scratch all of these passed but now there seems to be some issues.

Any idea what this conflicting server name is about?

Is there a chance you specifiy n8nv.design-velho.com in both your default and n8n.conf files? Could you share the file content of each file (you can view each file by running cat /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default and cat /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/n8n.conf on your server)?

Hi,

Thanks for your continuing assistance. I didn’t want to flood this thread so I pasted it into a text file. You can download it from here:

Kind Regards,

1 Like

Hey, I just saw this thread, I’m running my whole n8n service on my Oracle Free Tier currently, it worked just fine. I use docker-compose to deploy it, and Nginx for reverse proxy and SSL protect via Free Cloudflare Origin certificate.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing @antic1pate! Looks like n8nv.design-velho.com does indeed appear multiple times in your server_name directives.

Once in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/n8n.conf and also twice under /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default. With the original problem (additional < and >) out of the way it might be worth simply starting from scratch (getting rid of the old VM and create a new one).

I also have another idea in case you fancy playing “guinea pig” for a bit. I’ll dm you :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for checking it out @MutedJam :slight_smile:

I took the advice and thought that no problem, I will start from the beginning one more time. Third time is the charm they say… Well seems not. :smiley: Now that I’m trying to create new instance (after deleting the previous of course) I’m getting this error:

Out of capacity for shape VM.Standard.A1.Flex in availability domain AD-1. Create the instance in a different availability domain or try again later. If you specified a fault domain, try creating the instance without specifying a fault domain. If that doesn’t work, please try again later. Learn more about host capacity.

I just read your message concerning being a guinea pig and that sounds perfectly fine for me. Thanks for your assistance. :slight_smile:

1 Like