Configuring n8n to use Open WebUI's Ollama instance

It’s entirely possible I’m missing something, but I don’t think n8n should report a success when it is not. For this reason, I initially posted as a bug: n8n Fails to pass through to Open WebUI · Issue #36355 · n8n-io/n8n · GitHub

Describe the problem/error/question

Creating or testing a connection to a domain which is served by Open WebUI reports as successful, but no models populate.

The architecture at the moment:

  1. n8n running on a server (via Hostinger), routed via Caddy (running in Hostinger as well).
  2. Ollama running on my local computer (10.0.0.0/24 subnet)
  3. Open WebUI running (in Docker) on a separate server (local 10.0.0.0/24 subnet) which is also proxied via Caddy (running locally) this is connected directly to the local Ollama server.

So the path would be

n8n (hostinger) → open web UI (local) → ollama (local)

It seems suggested that this flow is supported under the field provided for an API key (which I have populated)

When using Ollama behind a proxy with authentication (such as Open WebUI), provide the Bearer token/API key here. This is not required for the default Ollama installation

In Open WebUI using debug mode, I see when testing the connection I get

2026-08-14 17:34:32.500 | INFO | uvicorn.protocols.http.httptools_impl:send:485 - 104.22.14.22:0 - "GET /api/tags HTTP/1.1" 200

Meanwhile, cURLing the same endpoint gets me the HTML of the open WebUI interface, not models or any other information.

Information on your n8n setup

core

  • n8nVersion: 2.30.7
  • platform: docker (self-hosted)
  • nodeJsVersion: 24.16.0
  • nodeEnv: production
  • database: sqlite
  • executionMode: regular
  • concurrency: 10
  • license: enterprise (production)
  • consumerId: e4b6abba-4675-4b19-80ab-ed985582aa77

storage

  • success: all
  • error: all
  • progress: false
  • manual: true
  • binaryMode: filesystem

pruning

  • enabled: true
  • maxAge: 336 hours
  • maxCount: 10000 executions

client

  • userAgent: mozilla/5.0 (x11; linux x86_64; rv:153.0) gecko/20100101 firefox/153.0
  • isTouchDevice: false

cluster

  • instanceCount: 1
  • versions: 2.30.7
  • instances:
    • instanceKey: 349ec899-1a4e-41aa-85dd-62492e3b9ef9, hostId: main-ecb4fc8d0bd1, instanceType: main, instanceRole: leader, version: 2.30.7
  • checks:
    • check: hostid-clash, status: succeeded, warnings: -
    • check: lifecycle, status: succeeded, warnings: -
    • check: split-brain, status: succeeded, warnings: -
    • check: version-mismatch, status: succeeded, warnings: -

Thank you for any help or answers.

@M15071060 set ur ollama base url to ur https://yourdomain/ollama then it should work, no trailing slashes tho like //

Thanks for letting us know about this, We have created AI-2723 as the internal dev ticket to look into it.

Thank you @achamm so much for that solution, was that documented somewhere I missed? I apologize if it was!

@M15071060 Here! - API Endpoints / Open WebUI

I can’t believe I missed that. Thank you again.

Don’t worry! Never be afraid to ask the community for help!