Encoding / Umlaute

Describe the problem/error/question

I use the RSS Feed Trigger, but the text isn’t decoded. I can’t find an encoding/decoding node or any option to handle this issue. I tried saving it as a file and loading it (saw that somewhere as a solution) but it didn’t work.

Example:
{{ $json.content.match(/Karrierestufe: (•*?)<br/) [1] }} returns F®hrungskraft instead of Führungskraft.

n8n version 1.37.3 self hosted on digital ocean, default database, running via docker on ubuntu

1 Like

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Well… seems the RSS trigger does not use the utf-8 encoding

@Jon can you please take a look?

1 Like

Hi, happy to hear that it’s not me, it’s the trigger :slight_smile:

Hi Holger,

could you share the RSS feed that you are using, so we could test the encoding?

Thanks! :upside_down_face:

Here it is: KMN Stellenmarkt-Stellenausschreibungen

Hi Holger,

thanks for the link!

You can tell from the header of that feed that they don’t use UTF-8 but windows-1252 instead.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>

For our RSS Nodes we use the npm rss-parser package, which relies on the correct encoding from the RSS feed supplier.

I don’t think we will be working on covering these ‘edge cases’ and it might be simpler to get in touch with the provider of the feed itself to simply allow for UTF-8 encoding in their feed header.

But let me turn your post into a Feature Request so it gets reviewed by our engineers to possibly pick it up for the future :slight_smile:

1 Like