Hopefully this isn’t already a feature I’m missing.
Would be nice to allow externally hosted custom node types on i.e. Github or S3, and n8n would download it and maintain a list of your custom nodes.
The list of nodes or marketplace could simply be a public git repo with a defined file structure - that way it’s easy to add a private repository / registry.
- You could run a marketplace of custom node types like you’ve set up for your workflows
- I could add a custom node type without needing to reboot my docker image with a new folder mount or access the machine running n8n
- Workflows using custom nodes could be more easily shared if the node type included a link to the public download
- Cloudron, a DIY self-hosted app catalogue, used this model, and as they’ve rolled out breaking changes over the years, it’s created a graveyard of old user-created stuff that isn’t updated anymore. It’s not clear when you download something if it’ll still work.
- Security - ideally, custom nodes are hosted on your store or on git repos so I can use checksums and git hashes to make sure nobody is slipping in changes that steal my credentials.