Force $node.node_name

Hello, :wave:

Is there a setting so that N8N always uses {{ $node.node_name.json.variable }} instead of {{ $json.variable }} every time I drag and drop an N variable to the N+1 node?

Anything I could modify for it to act that way?
Sorry if it’s a noob question, I’m not a developper, I only do no-code.

Thank you!

Hi @Joachim_Brindeau, I am afraid this isn’t an option n8n offers right now.

I shall convert your question into a feature request so you and other users can vote on having this implemented.

1 Like

Hi @Joachim_Brindeau — it’s an interesting idea, and I’m curious about what you have in mind with this. What problem are you solving?

1 Like

I am trying to rebuild a project that died when I was working with a dev who moved on to another opportunity.

The workflow is complex and I often find myself changing the order of the steps, or adding intermediary steps to improve the % of satisfying results.

If I have the node name I don’t break things when doing so.

1 Like

Confirming I’ve run into this before with complex workflows and have manually used the $('<node name>').item syntax in most places so downstream nodes can be portable/moveable

1 Like

We have not swapped to the $(‘node name’) yet but that change will be happening soon, we have been using it internally to make sure paired item support is there but there could be some nodes that have an issue with it.

3 Likes

Awesome! That will make workflow building much easier :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.