Forwarding emails using IMAP?

Hello!
What a great service!

I am trying to build an email forwarder using IMAP.

So certain emails should simply be moved to a different inbox, in this case the folder “Processed”.

As far as actions go I understand the node can right now do nothing or mark as read.

Is this a limitation of the node implementation?

I’m curious if this is possible to get done with n8n.

Happy to hear your thoughts! Thanks

Hi @meadow, welcome to the community!

Indeed, the IMAP node is what’s called a trigger node in n8n. Meaning it can be used to start a workflow when something happens, but it doesn’t typically do much afterwards.

Most other trigger nodes have an equivalent “regular” node, but that’s not the case for the IMAP node I am afraid. You might want to leave a vote on the respective feature request though: IMAP Inject & Move Message

Aha, I see. That’s a bit of an issue for me. I guess I’ll have to look into implementing this node myself somehow or getting it commissioned. I’ll take a look at the docs, however, any particular resources you would recommend?

I’m using N8N Cloud, is it even possible to use custom nodes there?

Hi @meadow, custom nodes aren’t available on n8n cloud I am afraid.

If you’d still like to get your hands dirty before we manage to provide such functionality natively: The basic process of building a new node (which is how integrations are implemented in n8n) would be described in our documentation at Build a node - n8n Documentation. You might also find a look at the code of our existing nodes helpful which you can find in the /packages/nodes-base directory of our GitHub repository at GitHub - n8n-io/n8n: Free and source-available fair-code licensed workflow automation tool. Easily automate tasks across different services.

Lastly, if switching email providers would be an option, you could consider using Gmail. n8n’s Gmail node would let you add (and remove) labels from email thread (with labels being Gmail’s alternative to folders).

Thank you!

That’s a great suggestion.

I am assuming via OAuth? Or would this be via a Google workspace integration?

I need a way of allowing my users to provide me access to their inbox without them having to manage or even see the N8N workflow.

If it’s OAuth, can I expose that login flow outside of N8N somehow?

Really appreciate your help here

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.