Fresh Docker installation on Ubuntu gives 404 Page

Hi guys,
this is my first post here and first of all, n8n looks amazing. I think it is an incredible tool.
Also I love the idea of fair-code (never heard it before) and I hope to give something back to the community and to the project.

I made a fresh server installation on ubuntu20.04 with docker. Everything looks good at installation.
But when I try open the page it gives me a 404 error.
What am I doing wrong?
SSL works and everything seems to be fine.
Is there a n8n log somewhere?

Looking forward to your help,
Cheers,
Alex

1 Like

Are both docker containers running?
check with command: docker container ls

1 Like

Welcome to the community @alexhammerschmied!

As @Benedikt_Bohm pointed out is it a good start to make sure that the container is running. If it is you can get it output via docker logs <container-name> for example docker logs n8n

Did you follow our server-setup guide?

If so I did do exactly the same a few weeks ago also on ubuntu 20.04 and for me, it worked fine. So would then check if the domain and subdomain are set correctly.

1 Like

thanks for the answers guys.
This is what is in the logs for the second container (n8n):

UserSettings got generated and saved to: /home/node/.n8n/config
(node:6) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: There was an error: EACCES: permission denied, open '/home/node/.n8n/config'
    at Object.error (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/@oclif/errors/lib/index.js:26:15)
    at Start.error (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/@oclif/command/lib/command.js:60:23)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/dist/commands/start.js:134:22
(node:6) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 1)
(node:6) [DEP0018] DeprecationWarning: Unhandled promise rejections are deprecated. In the future, promise rejections that are not handled will terminate the Node.js process with a non-zero exit code.
(node:6) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: SQLITE_CANTOPEN: unable to open database file
(node:6) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 2)

So there is a problem with the read/write permissions. But I followed the tutorial exactly (at least i think so…)

You can try to change the path in the docker-compose file.

From

- ${DATA_FOLDER}/.n8n:/home/node/.n8n

to

- ${DATA_FOLDER}/.n8n:/root/.n8n

And then restart. If that does not work you can try to run:

chmod 777 -R ~/.n8n
2 Likes

Amazing! Thank you Jan!
Now it works. Now I am able to see the obvious…

Thank you very much!

Great to hear! Have fun!