I’m planning an e-learning app and want to automate some repetitive tasks using n8n. For example, I’d like to send notifications when a student enrolls in a course, completes a lesson, finishes a quiz, or has not logged in for a certain period.
What would be the best way to connect an e-learning app with n8n? Would webhooks and APIs be enough for handling these types of student-related workflows?
Yes, webhooks plus the app’s API are enough for this. I’d split it into two patterns:
- Event-based (enrolled, lesson completed, quiz finished): have the app POST a small JSON body (event type, student ID, course ID, an event ID) to an n8n Webhook node. Protect it with Header Auth and set it to respond immediately, then use a Switch on the event type to send the right email/WhatsApp/push message. The event ID lets you skip repeats if your app ever retries a call.
- Inactivity (“hasn’t logged in for X days”): there’s no event for something that didn’t happen, so run a Schedule Trigger once a day, fetch students whose last login is older than X days (HTTP Request to your API, or a database node), skip anyone already reminded, send the message, and write a
reminder_sentdate back so they don’t get it every day.
I built a small test version of both to check the logic (screenshots below). The final “send” step is a placeholder, so swap it for an Email/WhatsApp node and add auth on the webhook. If the app is yours, the easiest route is one small function that sends these events to n8n; if you have an existing LMS with no webhooks, poll its API on a schedule instead.
Which app or LMS are you planning to use? That decides webhooks vs. polling. If this covers it, feel free to mark it as the solution.
Hey @robertwilliam
Yes, webhooks + APIs are more than enough. I’ll connect your e-learning app to n8n so every student event (enrollment, lesson completion, quiz finish, inactivity) triggers the right notification automatically across email, SMS, WA, or TG.
Here’s the approach:
Webhook listeners in n8n for enrollment, lesson, and quiz events
Scheduled inactivity checks via API polling (daily cron)
Branching logic for personalized notification routing
Multi-channel delivery (email, WA, SMS)
Error handling + retry queue so no notification is missed
Hi Robert,
I saw your question about connecting your e-learning app to n8n for student notifications.
Your use case is actually a good fit for a webhook/API-based workflow. I can help you build the practical side of it — for example:
-
course enrollment notifications
-
lesson/quiz completion events
-
inactive-student reminders
-
duplicate-event prevention
-
connecting the workflow to email, WhatsApp, Telegram or another notification channel
If you show me what your e-learning app/API looks like and which notification channel you want to use, I can suggest the exact workflow and help you implement it.
I’m also happy to start with just one small part of the automation first, so we can keep the scope simple.


