HTTP Request via Proxy (connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:80)

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to use a proxy server in HTTP Request (I put it in the options section of the node)
And this kind of error occurs, no matter what server address I specify:

{
"status": "rejected",
"reason": {
"message": "connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:80",
"name": "Error",
"stack": "Error: connect ECONNREFUSED 127.0.0.1:80 at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1146:16)",
"code": "ECONNREFUSED"
}
}
NodeApiError: UNKNOWN ERROR - check the detailed error for more information
    at Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/HttpRequest.node.js:860:27)
    at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)
    at async /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/src/WorkflowExecute.js:447:47

We’re currently on n8n v. 0.142.0, and it’s being run in Docker.

I’m trying proxy servers from this list: Free proxy list, public proxy servers list online, live proxies

Please help me understand, how to fix it.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @alfomin

Are you running the proxy server locally? What version of n8n are you using?

v. 0.142.0

I’m trying proxy servers from this list Free proxy list, public proxy servers list online, live proxies

i also get this when using a local proxy on local network. it happened since the switch over to a new backend tool in n8n I believe.

I also have this error. I’m running N8N under https://docs.cloudron.io/

Probably the change form request to axios.

You can try setting the env variable N8N_USE_DEPRECATED_REQUEST_LIB=true

yeah i’d like to not go back to depreciated if possible. But the new HTTP engine totally crippled my TOR scraping via a local proxy device.

Hi,

I’m facing the same issue,
Have you find any solution ?

Thank you

Hi @Uness, have you tried setting the N8N_USE_DEPRECATED_REQUEST_LIB=true enviroment variable suggested by Ricardo to (temporarily) switch to the old library to see if this addresses the issue?

I can see that my colleagues have already flagged this to @krynble who will be back next week and who will take a closer look into the implications of the library change in this context. Until then it would be of great help if you could the above suggestion a go to narrow down the issue.

Hi @MutedJam

Just tested that, but no sucess.

I’m using Private Dedicated Proxies i just bought. I’m sure that i’m missing something.

I got bored so took a quick look at this one, The problem is the proxy option is being sent in the wrong format to Axios so you end up with "proxy": "whatever_the_value" and it looks like Axios wants an object like "proxy" : { "host": "host_name", "port": "port" }

As a very quick and dirty concept if you pop open HttpRequest.node.ts and find if (options.proxy !== undefined) ~ line 715…

Replace:

requestOptions.proxy = options.proxy as string;

With

let proxy = (options.proxy as string).split(":");
requestOptions.proxy = {host: proxy[0], port: proxy[1]};

It will start working as expected, There is a catch though… In the UI where you input the proxy address it won’t work with a protocol as Axios always assumes HTTPS (why would you use an HTTP proxy anyway) so you would need to input the IP / Hostname and port like 13.229.73.17:443 (this is a proxy I found on the free list)

Happy to pop in a pull request with this quick fix but I think a better one might be to have 2 fields for proxy one for host and one for port and if it can be worked out a select box for the protocol (HTTP / HTTPS / SOCKS(?) ).

Anyway… I hope this helps those with problems using proxies.

3 Likes

If anyone is interested I have create a pull request for this one.

I have also added in a couple of extra options for proxies that require authentication.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m sorry about the delay! Thanks @jon for your help!

I created another PR based on your changes that make n8n compatible with both request and axios libraries.

You can follow-up on it here: Fixed the way proxies are declared with axios by krynble · Pull Request #2384 · n8n-io/n8n · GitHub

Should be released soon.

2 Likes

@krynble looks good to me, I didn’t look into the protocol side of Axios too much but if you specify HTTP does that include HTTPS as well or does HTTPS need to be a config option as I can’t see many people using an HTTP proxy.

Hey @jon

In order to use https you’d need to specify it as part of your proxy URL, such as: https://user:[email protected]:1234

You can also use SOCKS5 for instance this way.

3 Likes

Nice that is a winner

Got released with [email protected]

1 Like

i’ll have to check if my docker has auto-updated to this version