Jira (Service Desk): Add Internal Comment / Add JSON To Jira API

Describe the issue/error/question

I would like to add an internal comment to Jira Service Desk. Internal comments are only visible to service agent users, not to customers. However, if I use the default Jira node with the Add Comment action, I can only add a public comment. According to the following StackOverflow answer, adding an internal comment is possible using some additional JSON:

{
    "properties": {
        "key": "sd.public.comment",
        "value": {
            "internal": true
        }
    }
}

However, it seems to be impossible to add additional options / JSON to the respective Jira node. Any idea how this could be achieved?

What is the error message (if any)?

N/A

Please share the workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

N/A

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.168.2
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): n8n.cloud
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: n8n.cloud
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: n8n.cloud

Hey @simon.sprankel, I don’t current have a running Jira instance so couldn’t test this first hand yet. Have you tried submitting your comment using the JSON Parameters option of the Jira node?

Hi @MutedJam, thanks for your answer! I did. However, it does not work. If I get it correctly, it is designed for something completely else: Adding a comment with rich text content. It actually replaces the comment field to allow inserting JSON from Document builder (this is also what the tooltip links to).

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that. I don’t see any other suitable option for this operation then unfortunately. You could try using the HTTP Request node to manually send the required API request to your Jira instance.

I shall also convert this question into a feature request so you and other users can leave their vote on it to hopefully have this functionality added to n8n’s Jira node going forward.

I was successful with the following custom HTTP Request node: