Reset user n8n docker

Describe the issue/error/question

How to reset user with having email reset access

What is the error message (if any)?

I just updated to a new n8n docker and noticed now it has a login process:

My issue is that I don’t have the password and forgot to setup email :(. How can I setup the password for this user?

Thank you very much

Please share the workflow

(Select the nodes and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow respectively)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version:
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite):
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]:
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]:

It doesn’t seem like there is any documentation on this from what I can find. With that said it seems the easiest way would probably be to just setup SMTP by following the official documentation.

If that’s not an option you could edit the user table within the database.sqlite file. If you’re using docker this will be located in the .n8n directory where you started the container.

If you’re not familiar with interacting with databases, you can use a free GUI program like https://sqlitebrowser.org/

Using this tool you can visit the “Browse Data” tab and select user from the “Table” drop-down.
Replace the contents of the existing password with the following.

$2y$10$/LDSRRyy6JeJhArBvbO3COudgZWx2ug9tsl2L3x5Vf6PXfgxM8DmC

Click Apply and click the “Write Changes” button at the top.

You should now be able to login with your previous email address and the password admin

2 Likes

Thank you very much :slight_smile: .

Hey Glitch
is the sample password standard for all n8n instances or is there a different encryption for each?
Saw there was an encryption key in the folder next to the sqlite database

$2y$10$/LDSRRyy6JeJhArBvbO3COudgZWx2ug9tsl2L3x5Vf6PXfgxM8DmC

Attempted this and it didnt work