Describe the issue/error/question
I am building a small API using n8n and notice that latency is higher then I expected. I have tried webhook instance and also running only one instance in main mode. So I did a simple benchmark using postman 15 times and note min and max response time and with node-red as reference. My test don’t actually fetch any data.
More details regarding response time below but short version:
- Node red is between 2x to 7x faster,
- Adding a second step adds 2x response time, A third step makes little difference. (Realistically an API need more then one step when returning data),
- I have tried MAIN mode.
I really love n8n interface, the promise of scalability with redis queues and a hosted cloud. With high load it might be quicker in comparison have not really tried that yet, but for relatively low loads is there a way to increase the speed to something closer to node-red or for that matter a “native” program?
n8n Queue-mode with Webhook node
1 .N8n: Webhook with “Immediately” 14-30ms. Avg: 19ms
2. N8n: Webhook with “Using ‘Respond to Webhook’ Node” 41-202ms. Avg 50ms
- N8n: Webhook with “Immediately” 15ms-55ms. Avg: 20ms
- N8n: Webhook with “Using ‘Respond to Webhook’ Node” 31-48ms. Avg: 38ms
3. Node-red: Simple HTTP in → Template → HTTP out 6-12ms Avg: 8ms
Information on your n8n setup
- **n8n version:0.202.1
- **Database you’re using (default: SQLite):SQLite and Postgress
- **Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]:Both
- **Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]:Docker