SMTP SSL Error

Hi, i have an error with an Email Server (SMTP) . Any Idea ?

ERROR: 140465105861960:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:

Error: 140465105861960:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:../deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:

Port, URL, Credentials are right !

Thanks,
Stefan

1 Like

Are you using docker? If so do you use the default image? In this case you could try the image ending with -ubuntu. This will probably solve this issue as there seem to be some SSL related problems with Alpine (which the default image uses).

Hi Jan, Yes i use docker on a AWS EC2 Instance.

I try it.

Hey @Stefan,

Can you confirm that the mail server that you are connecting to actually requires SSL? From what I can find, this often occurs when you attempt to connect via SSL when SSL is not enabled on the other end.

Hope this is not a red herring but it is worth a quick look.

What is about TLS ? Is this workable ?

Hey @Stefan,

What specifically are you asking about TLS? TLS and SSL are essentially the same thing. According to this website:

Transport Layer Security (TLS) is the successor protocol to SSL. TLS is an improved version of SSL. It works in much the same way as the SSL, using encryption to protect the transfer of data and information. The two terms are often used interchangeably in the industry although SSL is still widely used.

It is worth a try but I am uncertain as to what the results may be.

I am having the same issue with a Ubuntu 20.04 instance running on Digital Ocean and Soverin email which has SSL/TLS enabled.

Error: 140169990450504:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:../deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:

at Socket.ondata (internal/js_stream_socket.js:77:22)
    at Socket.emit (events.js:314:20)
    at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:298:12)
    at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:273:9)
    at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:214:10)
    at TCP.onStreamRead (internal/stream_base_commons.js:188:23)

Going to try this out and will report back: SMTP SSL Error - #2 by jan

Update: “The image for the service you’re trying to recreate has been removed.”

Assuming the reply meant n8nio/n8n-ubuntu

ERROR: The image for the service you’re trying to recreate has been removed. If you continue, volume data could be lost. Consider backing up your data before continuing.

Strange, old version of the image should still exist. But you can now use the Debian image. We renamed it for new versions as it turned out that it did actually use Debian and not Ubuntu under the hood. So simply replace -ubuntu with -debian.

Pulling n8n (n8nio/n8n-debian:)…
ERROR: pull access denied for n8nio/n8n-debian, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’: denied: requested access to the resource is denied

Happy to edits the docs when this is resolved, unless it’s just me being an idiot :slight_smile:

The latest version would be: n8nio/n8n:0.101.0-debian

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on that one earlier Jan.

In Docker Hub I see that there are two tags for latest, including latest-rpi.

Would it be possible to add a latest-debian tag to the registry that we can reference in docker-compose.yml files?

Sure. Beginning with the next release will it now automatically also tag the latest debian image with n8nio/n8n:latest-debian.

Just also manually tagged the latest version (currently 0.107.0) of the debian image the same way. So you can already start using it now.

1 Like

Speedy! Thanks a lot.

Another issue about this Unable to send e-mail from n8n · Issue #1491 · n8n-io/n8n · GitHub

Hello everyone, I had this and other errors like smtpCreddentials does not exist… Using the version for ubuntu(20), after activating GMAIL API you configure the permissions, it was only install the lib sudo apt-get install libsasl2-modules, it is it is working correctly.

Hey @Fabricio_Kerber,

Welcome to the community :sparkling_heart:

Thank you for sharing the solution. Did you try the SSL options that the node has? Did it give you the same errors?

Just solved a similar error by disabling SSL switch in the SMTP credentials!
Just in case sb else finds this and hasn’t tried that yet…

I confirm this solution. Add to your docker env settings:
N8N_SMTP_SSL=false
I assume STARTLS kicks in with that off.
In any case email sending works now.

2 Likes

Hey @Erixun,

Welcome to the community :raised_hands:

It does indeed so you are telling it not to use SSL so it instead uses starttls, it seems a bit off but that is how the package under it handles things.

you mean install it where? on n8n sever?