SOAP WSDL Integration

Hi, i would like to connect to Services via SOAP Connection.
We need WSDL Loading and the we chose the functions.

Thanks again,
Stefan

Hi @Stefan

This is a great suggestion, as much as it is possible to do it through HTTP, having a specific node for SOAP would be very useful.

An example of how it could work is this from Integromat:

Soap is a pain in the butt.

Would love to see it implemented, but I think the chance is pretty slim this will ever happen.
It is very annoying to work with, outside of programming languages like C#.

Also I have seen API’s getting converted to REST from Soap and similar. So doesn’t make too much sense to work on supporting a dying standard.

1 Like

Sadly there are many providers out there who are keeping that dying standard with no will or preview to change it.

It would be really nice to maybe have a workaround on how to get it working with n8n somehow.

You can easily do it with an http request.
Most of the times it will be by just posting the xml request (make sure you set the content-type correctly)
Sometimes however they like you to also set the action for example.
Easiest thing is to use for example SoapUi to create the api call, test if it is working. And then check what settings are used in SoapUi and copy those over. Might be too many headers you are setting compared to what is actually needed, but that should not matter.

1 Like

Yes, i solve it like you suggestion. This works since years. From my Side a SOAP Node is not mor necessary.

1 Like

altough this is true in many cases, this workflow can easily lead to xml injections and broken executions…
crafting an XML is not just taking a string and injecting string variables inside it… you’ll need to properly escape the data for it to be valid ( also correct for json and basically any format)

99% of the existing n8n node types can be implemented with the HTTP Post/Get nodes… it does not mean they shouldn’t exist

in order for n8n to be really competitive against other integration tools, it better have good support for common enterprise usecases, and unfortunately enterprises in many cases tend to (also) work with old system that work with old standards like SOAP

I don’t expect to see SOAP interfaces becoming a thing of the past in the upcoming years

1 Like

Goodmorning,

Welcome to the community!

Yes you are right, we need to be careful about what we send as the body when filling in fields that we have no control over.
This can however be done easily enough with n8n default capabilities.

Yes, a Soap node could exist. This would be an awesome addition. Especially because the APIs can be a lot more complicated than Rest APIs

It is all about resourced though. The n8n team cannot work on everything at the same time, and with Soap being less popular it will be more beneficial to work on things that have benefits for more users.

You can of course develop your own node for it, that is what I do when I want something added.
If you cannot yourself, you can of course hire an expert to do it for you.

The fact that no one created a Soap node, basic or very feature rich also shows that it isn’t that often used. Or simply not that big of a deal to do with the HTTP node. :slight_smile: