Strava Trigger and API Call Error

I am just building the Strava workflow to track my cycling activities but I noticed some issues on Strava API Connection from n8n node and Trigger

{"message":"getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND www.strava.com","name":"Error","stack":"Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND www.strava.com\n    at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.onlookup [as oncomplete] (dns.js:67:26)","code":"ENOTFOUND"}
NodeApiError: UNKNOWN ERROR - check the detailed error for more information
    at Object.stravaApiRequest (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Strava/GenericFunctions.js:38:15)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)
    at async Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Strava/Strava.node.js:82:40)
    at async /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/src/WorkflowExecute.js:447:47

Failed on the first attempt
Success on Second or third attempt

1 Like

Hi @mskian, I hope you’re having a good day thus far?

I quickly gave this a go with my local n8n instance and did not run into the error you have described.

Seeing you are getting this error only on the first but not on subsequent attempts makes me wonder whether there might be a problem your primary DNS resolver has with www.strava.com (with subsequent requests answered by the secondary resolver). You might want to investigate this further, but the exact steps would depend on factors such as the deployment scenario, your operating system, or network hierarchy.

If you are using the Strava node, you could also enable the “Retry on Fail” setting to automatically retry failed requests:

Done enable that option

but my rest nodes and triggers work well
Strava Node only having this issue

So you mean connecting to the Strava API works fine through the HTTP Request node?

If so, this might be related to the Strava node and the HTTP Request node using different timeout settings. Does the error occur immediately when running the node or only after a wait time? How are you hosting n8n and which version are you running?

no rest nodes are working fine issue on Strava nodes only

error occurs immediately in strava trigger node

via docker and using latest version - 0.146.0

Having the DNS lookup fails for you on the first attempt for this one node still puzzles me, particularly since other nodes connecting to the same hostname www.strava.com work fine. The node itself isn’t doing anything special when connecting to the Strava API which would explain the behaviour you have reported.

Does this also happen when using the old request library (you can use this when setting the environment variable N8N_USE_DEPRECATED_REQUEST_LIB=true)?