Support for Voice Assistants [Google / Siri / Alexa]

I’d love to see n8n support voice assistants like Google Assistant / Siri / Alexa.

I can see real benefits being able to trigger workflows, return and read out data, and a host of other things to improve life.

Hey @hellotimking!

Thank you for opening this Feature Request. Are you asking for a node for these services? Or do you want to have an app that executes your n8n workflow via voice?

Please don’t forget to upvote your request :slight_smile:

I’d love to see n8n support a trigger node you can use to kick off workflows based on voice input from voice assistants, more specifically for my case would be Google Assistant and Siri, but Alexa would be good also.

Other automation tools like Zapier has integration for Google Assistant, as does IFTTT.

Basically, for the same thing to be available in n8n to trigger and execute workflows, and even to read out data results (as IFTTT allows).

Not familiar with any of those platform but if they allow you to create web-hooks via the UI, this can be easily achieved with the Webhook node.

I’m surprised that you’re not familiar with the platforms I’ve mentioned.

Zapier and IFTTT are direct competitors to n8n and I’m sure we’ve all used voice assistants.

Not familiar does not have to mean he did never hear of them, it just means that he never wrote code for them, which is a big difference.

and

Maybe as inspiration GitHub - datech/node-red-contrib-amazon-echo: Alexa controlled Node-Red nodes supporting latest Amazon Echo devices. NO Alexa Skills required. NO cloud dependencies.

No one is running google assistant and n8n?

I know this isn’t what is wanted, however it is possible to achieve with workarounds, so I thought to write it here in case it helps anyone.

The main ingredient is to use a webhook on n8n for the trigger.

On Siri, you can use the IOS Shortcuts app to call webhooks…Hint: Use the “Get contents of URL” action instead of Safari. I just tested it and got n8n to send me an email when I say a phrase to my Homepod.

On Google and Alexa, you can use IFTTT, which is obviously not ideal, but it is tightly integrated into those devices I guess, and works fast enough. (I think it should be free) Then IFTTT can trigger a webhook to n8n.

If you want to pass values to the trigger, the Shortcuts/Siri one can. The Google Assistant can pass a number, but the Alexa cannot pass anything as far as I can tell using this method.

1 Like