Understanding Performance of APIs

I am trying to understand how to track performance of individual steps in a workflow and how long does it take to complete each step.

I am invoking the webhook via a call from Insomnia(similar to Postman), which is running on my desktop and this workflow has two steps (two API calls).

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.190.
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): Default
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]:Not sure
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: Docker

Hey @Anil_Punjabi, I can’t find a question in your post, perhaps you can elaborate what exactly you’d like to understand?

On a general note, if your webhook-powered workflows take longer than you expect, chances are you’re using the default EXECUTIONS_PROCESS option which is own. This means every execution takes place in it’s own process which takes a bit of time to spin up. You might want to consider switching to main in such cases. This is documented here:

https://docs.n8n.io/hosting/scaling/execution-modes-processes/#executions-process

My workflow has two steps.

My questions are:

1. How to track performance of individual steps in a workflow
  2. How long does it take to complete the full workflow, The number I see in the Execution section seems incorrect, it shows 1.034 sec, whereas from my Insomnia tool it shows 11 sec. Just trying to wrap my head around on what is causing the additional 10 second delay – it couldn’t be the time it takes the data to return to Insomnia.

Hi @Anil_Punjabi,
thank you, that is some interesting find you got there.

1. Right now there is no time tracking for individual nodes in your workflows. You could however use our Execute Workflow node to extract parts of your workflow you want to track.

2. I could recreate your problem in a test workflow, for me it’s jumping from ~7secs to ~5secs using a simple wait workflow. I will investigate further and create an internal ticket.

1 Like