Upload Image to Google Drive from URL

New to N8N and loving it. Moving from Zapier and Pabbly.

I am trying to upload an image file (jpg) to Google Drive. I have the URL source for the image.

When I execute the node, a text file is uploaded to Drive with the image URL in the text file, instead of uploading the actual image.

What do I need to do to be able to upload an image to Drive from a URL?

## Share the output returned by the last node

1 item

id

recYNJfApioRpwWsP

createdTime

2023-02-14T22:56:29.000Z

fields

Test Status

Started

Name

Jack

Created

2023-02-14T22:56:29.000Z

Last Modified

2023-02-16T00:45:53.000Z

Image URL

https://files.canvas.switchboard.ai/61580678-ca9f-4e89-badc-0dd8848c3901/22505c83-34a1-4b1a-a1f1-1f3db3940bc0.jpg

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version: Version 0.211.2

Hi @matthiasallred,

Welcome to the community :cake:

Looking at the node we don’t support uploading from a URL so you would need to first add an HTTP request node to download the file then use the output of that to upload it.

Thank you for your reply.

Working with binary data isn’t the most intuitive paradigm in n8n - we hope to change that in future.

Meanwhile, I quickly recorded this video to point out a few helpful tips when working with Binary data. It’s a rough loom video, but hoping it helps in lieu of better formal documentation on binary data at the moment.

Working with binary data in n8n - Watch Video

p.s. I kept the video a bit generic so it can be reused to help other folks :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is very helpful. Thank you!

Quick question. When using the HTTP Post option with Get, does that download the actual file to your server? or just make it available in the workflow? (timestamp 0:43)

Glad it was helpful and great question! Binary data is loaded into memory (RAM) so something to keep in mind if working with heavy files like images or massive datasets.

Depending on how your n8n is setup, if the file is larger than available RAM either the WF will fail or your instance will crash (dependent on the execution mode of your instance. On phone atm, but should be some stuff in docs on that).

@mentioning @MutedJam to sanity check my answer - we might already have a solution where that binary data is saved in swap/ temp storage during the exec; to avoid the aforementioned RAM crashing scenario. I just don’t remember for certain.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.