Arranging workflows in folders

When Folders are officially supported in n8n, couple of nice-to-haves would be:

• Allow the user to define “smart folders” where if any workflow has any one of the matching “tags”, then the workflow will automatically be “added” to the folder. (This allows a workflow to potentially exist in multiple, different folders – which is fine.)
  • Allow users to create folder hierarchies for better organization.
  • Eventually, report usage states on a:
    • per workflow basis
    • per tag basis
    • per top-level folder basis
    • per nested-folder basis
2 Likes

@daniel_legion Totally agree, it is so hard to stay organized without folders. Its getting a mess for me. I really don’t understand why it isn’t in there in the first place. Hope this gets implemented asap.

I think this is a good idea, but should have one place where it actually is, but then can be linked in other folders with an icon, like it’s done in google drive, so show it’s a link and not where it actually is.

I don’t know if the distinction actually matters but it feels like it would in my head

Nested folder would be amazing though, really hope that comes with the first version

1 Like

Also looking for it +1

I know that you are all painfully aware of this need since it has been at the top of the wish-list for a long time now. I’m at a point now where it really is close to impossible to get an overview and I find myself spending way to much time searching for workflows (I’ve tried with all sorts of naming and tag-conventions but it really doesn’t work in the long run).

Is it possible to say anything about whether this is on the roadmap?

1 Like

Hey @systemaddict,

At the moment some of the team are working on the RBAC feature and adding “projects” which will then allow us to move on to adding folders in the future. This was originally going to be released last quarter but this is a large feature and is taking a bit longer than expected. I think the plan is to have RBAC / Projects / Spaces released this quarter now then possibly implement folders next quarter.

5 Likes

Will RBAC be coming to self hosted too?

That’s pretty exciting if it is

3 Likes

It will be available on self hosted but what I don’t know at the moment is if there will be any restrictions on the community edition which I suspect is what you really want to know :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This would be sooo useful! I’m hosting n8n via docker and noticed in latest version there was an option to “move” a workflow but think not available on free n8n right now, right?

If Folders option are not part of the community (free) version, n8n team will get a huge backlash on this…

Hey @Mulen,

I would imagine that would be the case however I have not seen anyone mention it not being available my previous comment was related to RBAC / Projects not folders.

+1 its getting messy very quickly. Also when do you expect to release a way to get the sharing of workflows in a better place? Inviting everyone for every new workspace is not feasible

Hey @Olivier_Muller,

Welcome to the community :raised_hands:

I don’t know when folders are coming but Projects are a very nice way to keep workflows, credentials and users contained. In a project only the users in the project are available to use the workflows and credentials in it.

I don’t know if folders would work in a similar way but depending on your version / license Projects could be a solution.

1 Like

Bump. We have close to 100 workflows, super hard to find what is needed without filtering. Sometimes we forget something exists. Would love to have folders similar to make.com and organize by themes without having to play with user and credential management. All of our ‘projects’ are managed by the same 2 people.

By the way, I’ve got 1.47.3 version but can’t find the ‘Projects’ Jon is talking about.

Hello! We also have over 200 workflows, and it’s really difficult to find things even with labels.

I’m really looking forward to organizing with folders as well.

Additionally, I couldn’t find the “projects” feature, even though we’re on version 1.49. I only see the “move” option, but there’s nothing to create new ones…

What is the forecast for this functionality?

+1 for adding folders!

Another +1 from here. Folders would be nice!

1 Like

+1 for adding folders! I have a lot of workflows (200+) and several servers.

+1 Here as well. It would be great if we can have multiple tiers of subfolders as well. Something like:

Department → Input → Workflow