Excel 365 node did not find workbooks

Hello community,

I’m new to n8n, and I’m really happy to be part of the community now.
I’m currently testing n8n a bit as a Docker app on my Synology. The installation and setup was easy, I find the interface very intuitive. Many thanks for that!

Describe the problem/error/question

Now to my problem.
I have a very simple workflow. A manual trigger and an Excel 365 node. I have set up my credentials and they seem to be working. Now in Resource “tables” when I want to search for a workbook in the Excel node, it doesn’t find one. Only a ZIP file is displayed, which actually exists in my Office 365 Business account, but is not a workbook. The ZIP file is in a level 6 subfolder within the “My Data” folder. If I test another approach and use as Resource “workbook” and set “Get Many” as “Operation” to get all workbooks as return value, I only get the ZIP file back as well.
The credentials seem to work, otherwise the ZIP file would not be found either. But the workbooks are not found. Does anyone here have an idea what the problem could be?

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: = 1.26.0
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • Operating system: Synology

Thanks so much and best regards,
frank

Hey @DieRipps,

Welcome to the community :raised_hands:

That is unusual I would have expected everything to be returned. Do the workflows exist in your onedrive and are they owned by your user or are they stored in something like Sharepoint or owned by another user?

Hi Jon,

first thanks for your support. Really appreciate that!
You give me a good hint. When I create a Workbook in Onedrive directly, it’s working. I can choose the workbook in the node. For a sync folder, owend by e.g. a teams channel I can not see the workbook.
Is there a way to also get those workbooks into the selection? Looking forward to your answer.
All the best!

Hey @DieRipps,

That sounds like a permissions issue, But looking at the api call we make we search for anything that is yours so it could be that there is a setting we can toggle to allow shared items unless the Teams shared folder is special.

Hi @Jon,

would be great to check if it’s a restriction on the api site. In other automatization tools like “make”, there is a option to choose between “MyDrive” and “Site’s Drive”. In case you choose “Site’s Drive”, you see all teams channels and in another window, you click down the folder structure to your workbook. From a user experience perspective this feels good. At the end the first step could be to see all workbooks also which are part of a teams channel you are assigned to.

Thanks so much for you support, lokking forward to your answer regarding the restrictions.
I’m also open to test features regarding this, in case my help is needed…

1 Like

Hey @DieRipps,

So that could be it, We check the myuser option so it sounds like we would need to dig into the api more. Is the Sites Drive a Sharepoint folder?

Hey @Jon,
I’m not the expert in office 365, but for my understanding, at the end, all storage topics (onedrive, teams…) will be done in sharepoint. And this seems to be confirmed by the urls.

When opening my Onedrive (web version) the url looks like that:
https://domain-my.sharepoint.com/personal/user/_layouts/15/onedrive

When opening my teams group via sharepoint it looks like that:
https://domain.sharepoint.com/sites/teams-team/shareddocuments

So to answer your question, in my opinion is “Sites Drive” a storage for all MSTeams teams/groups.
You choose your teams team and then you see a sharepoint folder structure with all documents created by the team.
In the URLs you see there is a “personal” and a “sites” path. I guess currently the n8n node covers the “personal” path. I think behind “sites” could be a MS Teams group but also a sharepoint site created directly in sharepoint with some documents attached.

But as I mentioned i’m not an expert and this is just my impression.
What do you think?

Hey @DieRipps,

I think you could be right, So I suspect this will need Sharepoint support as well rather than just onedrive which is why this isn’t working. This probably won’t be a quick change.

Hi @Jon,
isn’t it sharepoint in any case at the end? So you know that better than me, but is there an API for sharepoint/OneDrive and a API for sharepoint/Sites (Teams)… or what is the challenge to open the Excel node also for teams documents? Sorry I’m too far away from the details here.
But anyhow thanks for your support and all the answers! Really great support here!