N8n docker binary file write ERROR: EACCES: permission denied, open 'myTable.xls'

Describe the issue/error/question

I have n8n on docker, run by root user, with output values on folders like

- n8n_storage:/home/node/.n8n
      - /home/ubuntu/n8n-local-files:/files

What is the error message (if any)?

if I chose name for write binary file just like myTable.xls its will be that error - ERROR: EACCES: permission denied, open 'myTable.xls'
If I chose that file name with path like /files/myTable.xls its will be like that - ERROR: EACCES: permission denied, open '/files/myTable.xls'

Please share the workflow

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.210.2
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: Docker

Hey @droppe,

n8n is getting a message back from the container to say it doesn’t have permission to write to the folder, n8n itself doesn’t run as root which could be why you are seeing an issue, You could try changing the OS permissions on the /files folder but I think to start with it might be worth opening an interactive session with the container to make sure the /files folder has mounted and to see if you can do anything in it.

Yes, that folder exist in docker container, I was enter in container with sh and add permissions to /files folder by command chmod 777 /files and its works!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.