Need some help please?

This is instruction: Server Setup | Docs

I can’t understand:

1. If you are running n8n as a root user, add this under volumes for the n8n service: - /local-files:/files
    What need to do?

2. So shame but where is path for docker-compose.yml and .env file?

3. Maybe some a little simple way? I am installed and configures n8n to local PC without docker, how i can add ssl, not LE (I have real wildcard cert)?

Thanks.

Hi @alexpebody, first of all, welcome to the community :tada:

If you are running n8n as a root user, add this under volumes for the n8n service: - /local-files:/files
What need to do?

The example docker-compose.yml file will have an entry n8n: under which your can find volumes:. You would need to put your line under the aforementioned volumes: entry in this case.

where is path for docker-compose.yml and .env file?

The .env and the docker-compose.yml can live in the same directory. It can be any directory of your choice.

Maybe some a little simple way? I am installed and configures n8n to local PC without docker, how i can add ssl, not LE (I have real wildcard cert)?

SSL certificates are not a functionality offered by n8n itself. This would need to be configured in your reverse proxy server (Traefik if you’re using the example docker-compose.yml file). With this not being an n8n functionality, you might want to check the respective Traefik communities for help with using custom certificates. There are a couple of guides out there (for example this one: https://medium.com/@clintcolding/use-your-own-certificates-with-traefik-a31d785a6441) but I haven’t used this myself yet. You can also use any other reverse proxy solution (for example Nginx) instead of Traefik if you like, you’d just need to make sure it redirects traffic to the port n8n is listening on and access is as secure as you need it.

If this is your first time using docker, you might also want to run through a docker/docker compose tutorial (for example this official one: Overview of the get started guide | Docker Docs).

If you prefer something less complex, we also offer a desktop app for Mac and Windows which is great when just testing out n8n on a local PC. A simple “always on” solution (without the need for configuration) would be n8n.cloud. Last but not least you can also run n8n on bare metal without docker by using npm.

1 Like

What you think about How to set up n8n via PM2 ?

1 Like

I actually like PM2 a lot and also @harshil1712 knows what he is writing about, so this is a great guide. This would actually run the npm flavour of n8n on bare metal :slight_smile:

3 Likes