I’ve configured past installs of n8n quite easily using docker and enabled SSL via LetsEncrypt, but this time I’ve decided to install n8n globally via npm on a Vultr VPS. Can someone please provide some guidance on getting SSL setup with LetsEnrypt without using docker? I am aware of this guide on Vultr but don’t know if n8n uses Apache or Nginx.
Disregard, I’ve got this working. I will try to compile the steps so someone else can benefit.
Here are the steps I followed to get SSL setup on n8n without Docker. I linked each step to the resource I used.
- Created an A record (n8n.mydomain.com) with domain registrar pointed to my VPS IP
- Installed nginx
- Installed certbot
- Requested certificate using certbot for URL: n8n.mydomain.com using
sudo certbot --nginx -d n8n.mydomain.com
- Scheduled cron job for certbot auto renewal (instructions linked in Step 3 above)
- Created UFW firewall rule for port 8443:
sudo ufw allow 8443/tcp
- Updated N8N environment variables in /root/.bashrc for new config:
Great stuff, thanks so much for sharing!