Hi everyone,
I made a small n8n workflow template for watching a public web page and only continuing when the meaningful text seems to have changed.
What it does:
- runs on a schedule
- fetches one URL
- strips basic HTML/style/script noise and normalizes whitespace
- compares the current text hash with the previous run
- skips the first run as a baseline
- goes to a mock notification step only when the normalized text changes
It is intentionally simple. It is not a hosted monitoring service, it does not handle JavaScript-rendered pages well, and the default notification is a mock so it should be safe to import and inspect first.
I am mainly curious whether this is useful as a building block inside n8n. If you can imagine using it, I would love feedback on:
- what you would connect after the change is detected
- which notification destination you would want first
- what kinds of pages you would monitor
- whether the approach is too simple or about right for a starter template
Thanks!