With the Write Binary File node, is there an option, when writing a CSV file, to change the file delimiter ? If not, what is the best practice to accomplish this?

Describe the problem/error/question

Is there a straightfoward way to specify the delimiter of a csv file at the time or prior to writing the file leveraging the WRITE BINARY FILE node ? This solution needs to address quoted columns aka leave separator in quoted columns untouched.

What is the error message (if any)?

N/A

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

CSV file with comma delimiter, need to change to tab delimiter:

Field0,Field1,Field2
TEST,[email protected],Test

Information on your n8n setup

• **n8n version:0.233.1
  • **Database (default: SQLite):default
  • **n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):default
  • **Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):npm
  • **Operating system:Windows 10 Pro

Hey @cmorneau,

There is currently no option to set the delimiter for the spreadsheet node, there is an existing feature request to have this added in the future which you can find below. The best option at the moment would be to use the execute command node and use command line options to write to a file and sort it there.

I do plan to look into adding support for this soon though as it has come up a couple of times this week.

1 Like

Thanks for validating Jon, this is in line with what I found too.

This feature is a must for any file based integration, along with automated reporting. I have added my vote to the feature request, thanks for pointing me to it.

In the meantime, I will follow your lead and look for a post process.

Thanks,

Christian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.