Custom node cannot be found in n8n

Describe the problem/error/question

a custom node cannot be found in n8n

Steps:
1、git clone GitHub - n8n-io/n8n: Free and source-available fair-code licensed workflow automation tool. Easily automate tasks across different services.
2、git clone GitHub - n8n-io/n8n-nodes-starter: Example starter module for custom n8n nodes.
3、In directory n8n-nodejs-starter to execute command npm build and npm link
4、In directory n8n to execute command:
pnpm build
pnpm link …/n8n-nodejs-starter
pnpm start

why I didn't run the command npm link? Because in n8n directory, it gave a error and it seems that pnpm is as a basic compiler tool. and pnpm is not compatible with npm.

5、I didn’t find the HttpBin And Example node in the node list.

6、Then I create a directory custom in the ~/.n8n,
7、in the directory ~/.n8n/custom to run command
npm init
npm link n8n-nodes-starter
8、n8n UI show “We didn’t make that… yet Don’t worry, you can probably do it with the HTTP Request node” in the node list.

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share your workflow

(Select the nodes on your canvas and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow.)

{
“meta”: {
“templateCredsSetupCompleted”: true,
“instanceId”: “c2652a218a0e0047153c8d28ab82157f4476cd62f1244f6e2e204968b152c4b5”
},
“nodes”: ,
“connections”: {},
“pinData”: {}
}

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version:1.29.1
  • Database (default: SQLite): sqlite
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): default
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): npm start
  • **Operating system: macbook Sonoma 14.3.1 **

The Resource I refer is that:
1、youtube

youtube’s video is out of date and give me a misunderstand.
2、document

to be honest, it doesn’t work.

Hey @tmpgeller,

I am nto sure why you ran the pnpm link command it isn’t one we would recommend and when using a custom node it would be the npm link command. If you check in your ~/.n8n/custom folder has the link been created? Did you also remember to run the link command in the custom folder before starting n8n?

Yes, I already run it. and my custom files like this:

but when I start UI I just found there isn’t any nodes including build-in nodes. This is wired.

Thank your reply.

When you started n8n did it show any errors?

If I delete the directory custom, the build-in nodes show up. Something is wrong.

It shows like below:

That looks to be ok, did you make any changes to the starter template or just try and build it?

I just change one line:

I have just downloaded the starter, Changed the name of the package like yours and ran npm install && npm run build && npm link then changed to ~/.n8n/custom and have run npm link n8n-nodes-starter I have then gone to to my n8n source folder and ran pnpm start and I see the below…

I suspect somewhere along the way the wrong command has been run and it has caused confusion, I would start again. I suspect the pnpm link didn’t help so it might be best to remove the folder and unlink everything.

Also make sure the folder you have used for the link was /Users/aegon/.n8n/custom and not something else

Ok, thank you so much. now I will delete everything and try it again.

I appreciate you so much. It works after I delete every file and download every thing.

1 Like

Hey @tmpgeller,

That is good to hear, Thanks for the update.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.