Document worfklow

Describe the issue/error/question

I am wondering if there are good ways to “document / comment / describe” nodes ? Once you begin to have many nodes, it is important to explain how to use a workflow, what nodes need to be updated… just like you can do with proper code :slight_smile:

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: cloud

Hi @guillim,

I mostly use a function node as environment. For me the code reads faster/better in a function node than in the set node.

If a workflow has an env-node, my workflow doesn’t need to be adjusted anymore - only the env. Then IF-nodes are also used more often - for On/Off switches.

And last but not least there are the sticky nodes.

Personal experience: Workflows should be kept small. This increases the performance and the overview. Extensive workflows I usually split and then link them again with a separate workflow and the (new) “Execute Workflow” node.
The larger the workflow, the more memory the browser needs for editing, the longer the development takes…

PS: Good code does not need to be documented :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Hey @guillim,

One of the things we like to do is use the Sticky Notes feature so you will have something like the below (originally from https://n8n.io/workflows/1748/). You can also use the notes field that can be found in a nodes setting if there is something specific to the node you want to remember in the future as well so there are a few options

3 Likes

Yep, sticky notes were what I was looking for. Thanks !

1 Like