Getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN in HTTP Request when calling n8n webhook

Hi,

I’m getting the getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN error in the HTTP Request node when calling n8n webhooks. It happened last week for the first time, I restarted the Docker container and that solved the issue. However, today it didn’t help and I keep getting the error.

I read existing topics and know this isn’t an n8n issue and has something to do with DNS name resolution (whatever it means). Workflows are working, it’s just that I can’t call n8n webhooks (EDIT: using n8n workflows). It works only when I replace the subdomain+domain name with IP address in the webhook URL.

Has anyone faced the same issue? How did you resolve it?

Thank you.

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.214.2
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): SQLite
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: own
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: Docker

Hey @antitalent,

The error typically means when the server is talking to the DNS server the DNS server is not returning the address of the website you are connecting to.

You could try using a different DNS server or you could cheat if you are using docker compose and add something like the below which will then locally look up the address rather than check with a dns server.

extra_hosts:
 - "your.domain.com:123.123.123.123"

Thank you. It somehow works today again (I haven’t changed anything so no clue what’s happening). Next time it doesn’t I’ll try the cheat. Just to be sure - do I add extra_hosts to the caddy or n8n section of the Docker Compose file?

I would have to check the docker docs I am not sure if it is a global thing for all containers in the compose file or if it is set for the container that needs it. As it is n8n that calls out though it would be n8n if it needs to be one container

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.