Google Sheets Node: "ERROR: Could not retrieve the column data!"

I’ve validated my credentials, however am receiving this error when trying to append data from a Set node.

The sheet is empty and I have double checked the URL and array. The cause of the error is also blank.

Am I missing something?

NodeOperationError: Could not retrieve the column data!
    at GoogleSheet.convertStructuredDataToArray (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Google/Sheet/GoogleSheet.js:244:19)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)
    at async GoogleSheet.appendSheetData (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Google/Sheet/GoogleSheet.js:106:22)
    at async Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/Google/Sheet/GoogleSheets.node.js:981:34)
    at async /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/src/WorkflowExecute.js:447:47

Hey @ed.harding, when appending data to Google sheet, n8n would try to find column headers matching the field names in n8n.

So if you have an n8n item like this (with a Name and Message field):

Your Google Sheet would need to look like so rather than being completely empty:

Copy the ID of the Sheet from the URL (highlighted above) and paste it in the Spreadsheet ID field of your Google Sheet node:

Now when you click Execute Node the data should be appended to the Google Sheet as expected.

This is the example workflow I have used:

Example Workflow
1 Like

Ahh yes - my mistake, I should have checked the example more thoroughly.

Thanks for your help!

Your are most welcome and tbh, this node can be a bit tricky at first. I take it it’s working now then?

Hi @MutedJam

Thanks for the response to this, is there an alternate way to enter data into an empty sheet?