I would like to ask, what operations are performed by the custom trigger of the execute node click on the workbench, and what is the life cycle

the custom trigger clicks on the execute node and does not return data

I would like to ask, what operations are performed by the custom trigger of the execute node click on the workbench, and what is the life cycle

When I click the execute node on the workbench, will it execute into the webhook function? I wrote the log and found that it was not executed.

Hey @CometNet!

Welcome to the community :sparkling_heart:

Are you talking about a node that is already available in n8n? Or are you talking about a node that you’re building?

The life-cycle of a webhook trigger node is explained here: Creating Your First Trigger Node | Docs

Also, when you’re executing the node manually, you will have to use the Test URL and send a response from the service within 120 seconds. This won’t be the same when you’re running the workflow in production.

I mean I developed a node myself, and I saved it and enabled it.
I want to know why the webhook function of the trigger type is not executed after I clicked the execute node button on the interface. I want to know the process

By enabled, do you mean that your workflow is active?
If a workflow is active and executed, you will not see the output in the Workflow Designer. You will have to check the Execution List. I would suggest, during testing, toggle Active to false, and execute the node manually. Make a request to the webhook in 120 seconds, and you should see the output in the node.

After clicking, there is no movement. I don’t know where the problem is. I did not print output in the webhook function.

I want to get the data of this node at the next node, so I have to click on the next node of the execution node to get the data

Looking at your screenshot, you’re not running the webhook tunnel. Instead of npm run dev you need to start the server using ./packages/cli/bin/n8n start --tunnel. This will start n8n with a tunnel. Since your server is running locally, you need a tool that lets you proxy all requests to your local machine so that n8n receives and handles the events from the external service. This gets achieved using a tunnel.

You misunderstood what I meant, I mean I clicked the execute node on the ui. Will he execute the function webhook corresponding to the trigger

Or I change the description, I want to know that I click execute node on the ui. Which method he specifically called

It does the following:

1. On manual execution or workflow activation: Check if webhook is already registered (call “checkExists” method) and if not register it (call “create” methods)
  2. Wait till a request to the special webhook URL gets made
  3. Once request has been made it will run the “webhook” method
  4. After first call, when manually testing or when workflow gets deactivated: Call the “delete” method to un-register the webhook