"Retry on Fail" not working for "getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN" failures?

Does the “retry on fail” option not work to retry getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN failures? I have selected 5 tries and 5000 ms in between tries, but the node is failing much sooner than it would take to retry 5 times with 5 seconds in between each try.

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hi @monkeemunk :wave: Welcome to the community :cake:

EAI_AGAIN isn’t an n8n-specific error but suggests a network problem instead. If you aren’t using n8n cloud and instead are self-hosting, is there any chance your NAS system restricts DNS lookups from docker containers or other network traffic? This also could have been a temporary problem with the name resolution in your network :bowing_man:

I agree it is definitely a DNS issue and not n8n-specific; I’ve found that rebooting the Ubuntu server that my n8n docker container is running on helps to alleviate the errors. However, I would expect that this failure should be treated like all others in that the retry option should still apply; is that not the case?

1 Like

Hi @monkeemunk :wave: Retry can work with some nodes on network issues, but I’m not sure which node you’re using. There are other nodes that it won’t work as you expect on. :bowing_man:

Could you try to set Docker to use a different DNS server and see if this fixes it?

Sorry for not including that information — I’m using the HTTP Request node.

I’ve configured the Ubuntu server to use a few different DNS servers (1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9, 8.8.8.8) and the issue always seems to come back. Rebooting the server or leveraging the host file to prevent DNS lookups altogether seem to be the only two reliable workarounds so far.

Hi @monkeemunk :wave: Thanks for confirming, that’s odd :thinking: Can you let me know what env variables you’ve set?

Are you asking about Ubuntu env variables? There are not any, aside from the default path variable.