We're improving the Set node and need your suggestions šŸ˜Š

I guess its not essential but it sure would be nice to have an option to remove certain fields or items from the data using the set node? i guess a function (code) node could do the job just fine.

1 Like

Hey @Josh-Ghazi,

Are you thinking maybe disable all the input items and just have a button to remove what you donā€™t want instead of having to add in the items you do want to keep?

2 Likes

sorry my brain isnt working right now

1 Like

Yup, a ā€œremove columnsā€ setting would be great, plenty of times you want to keep the same object except a couple of entities.

I think the set nodeā€™s vision is to let you prepare an object to be ingested by future oper

Things like intuitive drag and drop for entire key-value pairs, key deletion (column drop) mode, suggested expressions given variable name, and nested objects can all make the experience a lot more fluid. Even certain list operations could make building out an output JSON amazingly simple since some applications require very specific data shapes to work.

Trying to prep the shape of the object as much as possible to be ingested by future operations.

3 Likes

Hi,
Iā€™m wondering if anyone has any other suggestions on how to improve the Set Node or any specific pain that would like to share.
Weā€™re currently working on an update, so now itā€™s the right time to share your ideas :grinning:
Thanks!

Hi @giulioandreini

Maybe good to post a new announcement on it. :slight_smile:
Not everyone checks out old topics that are being revived I guess.

1 Like

My biggest pain point with the set node is its ā€œconfusingā€ layout when more than a few fields get set.

From my point of view, a more table like layout would be more intuitive to use and better readable:

Name Value
first_name Max
rnd_num {{Math.floor(Math.random()*999999999)}}
city Vienna
phone 0043670123456

Maybe the layout changes between a table layout and the current layout, depending on the width of the config window.

5 Likes

Thank you for the feedback :raised_hands:

@giulioandreini got some more ideas today when I worked with the Set node:

Some sort of JSON editor, like the expression editor, just optimized for JSON.
I had the ā€œproblemā€ of setting fields multiple layers deep. (which is possible right now with the ā€œdot notationā€)
Setting bigger arrays would be more efficient and the overview would also be better if you know the JSON syntax.

A Button to add more fields which wonā€™t close would be cool.
Now I have to spam my mouse to get as many fields as possible without having to open the drop down for selecting the field type again.

1 Like

Thanks again @FelixL !

I donā€™t know if this is still on the horizon, but I would like to see something like this:
https://community.n8n.io/t/does-a-json-builder-node-exists/27228

Also the possibility to rearrange fields via drag and drop and to be able to mix different field types (number, string, boolean, etc) to output the JSON in our own personalized order.

1 Like