Webhook - no Input Data - only Parameters?

Hi,

I’ve been trying out n8n (docker) for a few months, I’m still stuck with Webhooks. I seem to be missing some data options.

I was trying to pull JSON data from an incoming webhook, and thinking I was going mad because there seemed to be no way other than using a JS function. Set wasn’t working, I tried to store the data as a binary file, change it to XML, all sorts of options. I was getting ready to give up!

I looked up about two dozen posts from this forum as well as several videos.

I was following this tutorial: n8n Nodemation basic - transforming json (3/3) (Tutorial) - YouTube

At 5 minutes in you can see he gets some data Input Data > JSON > body > data. I can’t see that!
Here’s what I mean:

I have activated my production URL and I can see data coming in on the Executions.

(I have also tried this with ‘First Entry JSON’ to no avail)

But I only get Parameters. Nothing else. Anyone else having this issue??

Thank you.

Welcome to the community @bocaz

Did you open the data property? Was it empty? Did you hit the webhook using the test URL?

@RicardoE105
Thank you, I hope n8n can really help me do a lot of automation! :smiley:

Did you open the data property? Was it empty?

What do you mean?
Data Input nor anything under it appears in my webhook (or any other node) settings.

Did you hit the webhook using the test URL?

Yes

I’ve setup several new workflows to make sure I haven’t done this wrong, I’ve also imported other people’s workflows that use this feature then confirmed the new (test) webhook URL. i just don’t see the Data Input under Current Node or Nodes

I’m also on latest n8n btw.

I’ll do a video or something tomorrow.

Not sure if this will help but test your first node and make sure you have your output showing then attach your second node (not all nodes have the expression editor so avoid function nodes if you want to use it).

Now in your second node click on the little cog next to the fields and you should see something about expressions that should then take you to the editor and you should see some of the output data.

It will be interesting to see what you are seeing and the steps you taking, if you could export your workflow or grab a screenshot of it as well we can all have a play and see what happens,

1 Like

Sorry I may not have been clear, but have been trying Expressions this whole time. I’ve been clicking on the ‘cogs’ and doing all of that sort of thing.

As mentioned I was following that video tutorial. I did test and it worked (as well as production). But the data does not show in the webhook’s window for the test URL, even though I get a successful response in Postman from Set {“message”:“success”}

Here’s my workflow. I’ve tried the same thing 5 times now and I never see the Input Data or JSON data when using the ‘cogs’.

{
  "name": "My workflow 5",
  "nodes": [
    {
      "parameters": {},
      "name": "Start",
      "type": "n8n-nodes-base.start",
      "typeVersion": 1,
      "position": [
      ],
      "disabled": true
    },
    {
      "parameters": {
        "httpMethod": "POST",
        "path": "09e4f6e4-b980-45b3-9fb5-0188b31f13f9",
        "responseMode": "lastNode",
        "options": {
          "rawBody": true
        }
      },
      "name": "Webhook",
      "type": "n8n-nodes-base.webhook",
      ],
      "webhookId": "09e4f6e4-b980-45b3-9fb5-0188b31f13f9"
    },
    {
      "parameters": {
        "keepOnlySet": true,
        "values": {
          "string": [
            {
              "name": "message",
              "value": "success"
            }
          ]
        },
        "options": {}
      },
      "name": "Set",
      "type": "n8n-nodes-base.set",
      ]
    }
  ],
  "connections": {
    "Webhook": {
      "main": [
        [
          {
            "node": "Set",
            "type": "main",
            "index": 0
          }
        ]
      ]
    }
  },
  "active": true,
  "settings": {},
  "id": 11
}

Data never arrives even though I get a message from the Set node.

Also my execution never stops even when I click stop, I have to refresh the page (yes I’ve tried with Start node un-paused, it was like that most of the time).

I assume there’s a deeper issue here, but I’m not sure what it could be.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. apologies for my awful handwriting on the images!

Hey @bocaz,

It might be an issue with your configurations. There was a similar post on the forum.

Can you share how did you configure your instance?

Hi, sorry I didn’t find that post, must have missed it.

I used CapRover. Started with 0.137.0, currently 0.139.1, looks like it’s running on PostgreSQL

I’m considering just running it on it’s own server, no docker, or should the docker be fine?

What do you (i.e. n8n) recommend for minimum VPS specs?

Thank you.

One thing is that CapRover is using PostgreSQL 12, not sure if that’s an issue, so I reinstalled with 12.8 and n8n 0.139.1 and it seems to be fine…

It also might be that it was originally installed on CapRover with 0.116.1 by default, and I upgraded to 0.139.1 which may have created a problem. When I did the fresh install with 0.139.1 from the start, it ran smoothly and the “Execute Workflow” button doesn’t get stuck in a loop anymore.